The prom is a time for excitement, celebration, and fun all rolled into one. Each and every senior or junior in high school eagerly anticipates this monumental night. Because of this, it should come as no surprise that a great number of filmmakers have attempted to capture the splendor and feeling of the prom “experience” on film. The 11 films listed here are among the very best prom movies that have ever been filmed. We think that they are “must sees” for prom 2023. So grab some popcorn, sit back, and enjoy the show!
And The Top 5 Movies Are …
1. Grease (1978) is a musical that is considered to be a classic. It is a romantic comedy about life at a high school in the 1950s. It follows the budding relationship of Danny and Sandy as they make preparations for the prom, and work to ensure that their love will continue forever. John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John star in the film.
2. She’s All That (1999) – This is a classic teen romantic comedy. It follows the story of a popular high school jock (Zach Efron) who bets his friends that he can turn an unpopular outcast (Rachel Leigh Cook) into the prom queen.
3. “10 Things I Hate About You” (1999): This film is a loose adaptation of William Shakespeare’s “The Taming of the Shrew.” It is about two sisters who couldn’t be more dissimilar to one another. In order for one of the sisters (played by Julia Stiles) to be allowed to go to the prom, she needs to locate a date, while the other (played by Heath Ledger) needs to find a means to make the date happen.
4. Pretty in Pink (1986): This film tells the story of a high school girl who falls in love with a wealthier boy, who is not in her social circle. The film stars Molly Ringwald. It is up to her to decide whether she will go with her gut instinct, or side with what her friends believe to be the correct path.
5. Can’t Hardly Wait (1998) is a film that tells the story of a group of high school seniors who spend their last night together trying to cram as much fun as possible into the time they have together. It’s a coming-of-age tale about friendship and love, and it’s packed with humorous moments along the way.
Honorable Mention For Prom 2023 – Films 6 Thru 11
6. Sixteen Candles (1984) – This iconic coming-of-age movie tells the story of a high school girl who is attempting to make the most out of her 16th birthday. She has to deal with the fact that her family does not pay enough attention to her. She also has to figure out a method to convince the boy of her dreams to take her to the prom.
7. Carrie (1976) is a well-known horror film. It is a fictional story about an outcast high school student (Sissy Spacek), who is harassed by her classmates. When she is finally asked to the prom, she gets her revenge in a frightening way.
8. Prom Night (2008): In this updated version of the film that was originally released in 1980, the plot centers on four high school seniors who are attempting to make the most of their night at the prom. They are forced to come up with a plan in order to stay alive as they become the target of an unknown murderer.
9. 17 Again (2009) — In this hilarious comedy, Matthew Perry plays the role of an adult who mysteriously reverts back to his teenage years. He uses this second chance to try and make the most of his high school experience. He even attends the prom!
10. The Princess Diaries (2001) — In this film, Anne Hathaway plays a little girl who learns that she is a princess and relates the tale of how she came to this realization. She has to learn how to be a royal and make it through her high school days, including the prom.
11. The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012) — This coming-of-age drama follows the narrative of a shy high school freshman (Logan Lerman) who strives to find acceptance through his group of friends. The movie culminates in an emotional prom scene where he finally learns to be himself.
These 11 movies portray the excitement, joy, and drama that comes with being a high school student, and are perfect for your prom 2023 party plans. Each movie has its own distinct way of capturing the beauty and excitement of prom night. Whether you’re searching for a comedy, a drama, or a horror movie, there’s something for everyone in this list. And don’t forget – if you’re still looking for the perfect prom dress, you can find one here.
Now sit back, relax, and enjoy the show! And remember – make prom 2023 the best one yet!